Re: [opensuse] nut package 17 months out of date?
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2009 12:57:11 +0200 (CEST)

On Saturday, 2009-10-10 at 23:48 -0500, David C. Rankin wrote:

Ever thought about going to a rolling-release system with openSuSE?
Just seem
like so much cleaner way to do a distro. Leave SLES and SLED as the Novell
"release" model products, but take openSuSE to a rolling-release model.

I don't think so. It is more unstable.

I have "problems" with 11.0 that are solved in 11.1, and new problems in 11.1 that were not in 11.0. With a rolling scheme I would have no way of installing a version that worked in each situation. There could be snapshots, but no way to patch them, because there would be no patches, just update everything to the newest version.

No, I prefer the current state. If asked, I prefer longer maintenance periods than the current 18 month period.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.