Re: [opensuse] Where is the USB hd?
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2009 12:31:45 +0200 (CEST)

On Thursday, 2009-10-08 at 23:52 -0400, Bob S wrote:

Have a usb external hard drive which I've been using to back up stuff in my
various distros. Decided I wanted to back up my entire 11.0 os. To get
everything I needed to be "outside" the distro, so I popped in the DVD and
booted to the rescue system.

I can't find the external hard drive. Does the rescue system not
mount/recognize/whatever the usb drive?

I am probably just again being a befuddled old codger who has no idea what he
is doing. Spomebody care to refresh my wayward brain cells?

You have to mount it manually, and for that, you need to know the device node first. There are several methods.

If you gave a label to the partition, easiest is:

ls /dev/disk/by-label/

or

ls -l /dev/disk/by-label/ | grep -i YOURLABEL

If you didn't apply a label, then use "by-id", for example, but it is much harder to identify. of by-path.

Other commands: for example, "fdisk -l".

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.