Re: [opensuse] edit xorg.conf
  • From: Rikard Johnels <rikard.j@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2009 22:08:54 +0200
On Friday 09 October 2009 12:37:48 Mark Goldstein wrote:
On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 12:32 PM, Clayton <smaug42@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Any editor, as root, but don't forget to re-calculate md5 checksum
using md5sum and put it into corg.conf.md5 in the same directory,
otherwise X will not start.

Really?  I've NEVER done that... and edited xorg many many times...
and X always started.

... of course it should be xorg.conf.md5...

Well, I do not remember which version of SuSE it was when I found out
that after manually changing xorg.conf, X would not start. I then
found out that SaX modifies MD5 checksum. Since then I'm always doing
it. Maybe it is not needed anymore?

--
Mark Goldstein

It was probably something else.
What I did discover tho, is that you shouldnt have a xorg.conf in root's home
I once copied the original to "root's root", and X didnt seem to want to react
at all to the changes i made to /etc/X11/xorg.conf no matter how i tried.
When i renamed /root/xorg.conf it worked.. :)

--

/Rikard Johnels
< Previous Next >