Re: [opensuse] Installing an NIC driver
  • From: Stan Goodman <stan.goodman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2009 13:55:07 +0200
At 12:26:46 on Friday Friday 09 October 2009, Per Jessen
<per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Stan Goodman wrote:
Then you need to start by actually plugging in the NIC :-)
If there is network controller in your PC and it's not listed by
lspci, your problem is not in the driver.

[snip]

Perhaps start with just the output of 'lspci' - that ought to be no
more than 10 lines or so.

Here is the output of lspci, a bit longer than ten lines:

Well, yeah - these modern machines have lots of stuff ... :-)

# lspci
0c:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g
(rev 01)

Okay, that's your wireless NIC.

Here too, as you can see in the fourth line from the bottom, "Network
Controller" means "wireless card". The Ethernet Controller (which I,
and aparently everone else, would call "Network Controller" appears
nowhere.

Which is a really strong indication that it isn't actually present or
properly connected/plugged into your system. Until the PCI* bus

Or that there has been a malfunction -- in earlier runs of hwinfo, it was
present.

talk to the device, there's nothing else anyone can do. I was going to
suggest wiggling the card, make sure it really is seated properly, but
then I realized your 'Vostro 1510' is a laptop ...

I am not sure if the Ethernet card is a seperate plugged-in minicard or
whether it is acually on the motherboard. If the former, that will be
fixed easily next week. Else the machine is a week old, and well within
warranty.

Is there any possibility that the on-board NIC has been disabled
(somehow)? Does the laptop (somehow) switch between the two NICs
itself?

Since neither of them work, I don't see how I would know that. (We are
trying to acquire an alternate wireless card (4318), with better support
under the BCM43 driver.)

/Per

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (16.6°C)