Re: [opensuse] Installing an NIC driver
  • From: Stan Goodman <stan.goodman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2009 09:51:19 +0200
At 03:31:36 on Friday Friday 09 October 2009, "David C. Rankin"
<drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thursday 08 October 2009 02:59:21 am Stan Goodman wrote:
In preparing for installation of a driver for the Network Controller
of my Vostro 1510, I am having difficulty in locating the PCI ID for
the controller.

The controller is detected in Network Settings as: <RTL8111/8168B PC
Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller>. Searching the Hardware List for
likely terms, I find only one paragraph about "Network Controller",
which in fact does not describe the NIC at all, but details the
Wireless Card -- it gives the PCI ID as 14e4:4315, which I know for a
fact is the WiFi card.

It can't be that the NIC is not described in the Haardware List. I
have not been able to find where it is lurking.

I don't know if this will help, but 'lspci -vv' might disclose more
details.

I've done so. It's quite long, but if you want me to send it, I will.

It contains no mention of an Ethernet card, or the numbers 8168 oe 8169

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on