Re: [opensuse] NIC installation: What is this error?
  • From: Stan Goodman <stan.goodman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2009 07:40:11 +0200
At 00:42:42 on Friday Friday 09 October 2009, phanisvara das
<phani00@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Friday 09 October 2009 03:43:19 am Stan Goodman wrote:
I am sure of nothing at this point, including my name.

what surprises me is that your system didn't recognize the rt8169
network card without installing a separate driver. i think i remember
that the card on my other machine uses the same one, and detected it
automatically. don't have access to that machine now and can't confirm
this for sure, though.

somewhere in the process of uninstalling the old and installing the new
driver something must have gone wrong; but what exactly i can't figure
out from this thread; certainly hope that somebody else will, but the
whole thing appears pretty confused.

if you boot from a live CD, does your network work?

If you are asking if there might be an external reason for not reaching
the network, there isn't

I was able to substitute another HD, containing WinXP, and was able to
reach the network with it. So the problem is very local.

I think the way to go is to delete the driver altogether and begin anew.
--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on