Re: [opensuse] edit xorg.conf
  • From: "Rajko M." <rmatov101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2009 00:19:14 -0500
On Friday 09 October 2009 00:07:17 William Biggs wrote:
ok I used gedit but after I edit the file how do I get in to root to
save it ?

On Thu, 2009-10-08 at 23:56 -0500, Rajko M. wrote:
On Thursday 08 October 2009 23:32:51 William Biggs wrote:
How do I edit the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file then save it ?

As root user, with any plain text editor that you like.

You have to start gedit from root console.
But, before you continue, when in root console make backup copy of current
xorg.conf, it is easier to recover from failed edit when you have copy.

cd /etc/X11
cp xorg.conf xorg.conf-old

Check also articles:
http://en.opensuse.org/Midnight_Commander and
http://en.opensuse.org/Midnight_Commander/Tips

From Midnight Commander editing any file is just press F4.

The bottom line has listed the most often used function keys, and it changes
with context. In editor is different them in file browser. Not to forget,
mouse works fine in openSUSE, although Midnight Commander is console
application.

--
Regards, Rajko