Re: [opensuse] NIC installation: What is this error?
  • From: Stan Goodman <stan.goodman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2009 20:15:49 +0200
At 18:34:56 on Thursday Thursday 08 October 2009, "Ken Schneider -
openSUSE" <suse-list3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Stan Goodman pecked at the keyboard and wrote:
At 17:53:55 on Thursday Thursday 08 October 2009, Per Jessen

<per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Stan Goodman wrote:
That's true. It doesn't help to choose among the many gcc compilers
on the DVD. Can I assume that gcc-c++ is the way to go? Or is
gcc43-c++ the one with the brass ring? Or gcc43? Or what?

I suspect "zypper in gcc" will get you what you need.

That caused the system to try to access the non-oss repository,
because it complained that it couldn't resolve download.opensuse.org.
The problem is that I am trying to get the Ethernet card to work, and
there is no other way to reach the outside world. It stands to reason
that the necessary compiler has to be on the DVD. But there are many
likely looking gcc compilers on the DVD; so far I know that gcc43 and
gcc43-c++ don't help. Which one does it want?

Disable all repo's except for the *dvd* or add it if it isn't in the
list, then zypper ref and zypper in gcc.

That made the modules without errors. There are two warning messages that
I assume are expected, indicating that some facility is not supported by
the driver:

r8168_n.c.:526: warning: 'rtl8168_ocp_gphy_read' defined but not used
r8168_n.c.5292: warning: 'rtl8168_reinit_task' defined but not used

The rest of the compilation finished, apparently in good order. <lsmod |
grep r8186> seems to have found the installed driver.

But <ifconfig -a>, according to the instructions, was expected to include
in its response a line about eth0, but there is no such thing in its two
paragraph, which seem otherwise to be in order.

Also worrying is that I now notice in Network Settings/Overview that in
the lower window the name of the Ethernet card is followed by "(no
hwinfo)"

I've configured the Network Settings in YaST.

--
Ken Schneider
SuSe since Version 5.2, June 1998

--