Re: [opensuse] Windows 98SE can't access Samba openSUSE 11.1
On Wed, 2009-10-07 at 20:34 -0500, Jim Flanagan wrote:
Cristian Rodríguez wrote:
On 07/10/09 16:54, Paul Neuwirth wrote:
with Windows 98 SE anymore.
Nobody supports that thing anymore, looks like you need to move to the
21 century...
Actually, its pretty light weight, i.e. fast (not hoggish). As long as
you run an AV tool, and browse with an up to date Firefox, your pretty
safe.

Nah, I've run Windows for years with no AV at all. It all depends on
how you use the machine. If all services are disabled and you never run
IE or Outlook your exposed surface is pretty small; you certainly
shouldn't use such a configuration for sensitive functions but for many
uses I wouldn't worry about it. In my experience, if you are plowing
through unknown Internet sites and clicking every link you see then no
amount of preventative is going to save your machine.

And many times there simply is no choice. We have a million dollars
worth of VOIP PBX systems.... that can only be administered using
Windows 9x running a specific version of IE6 hosting a specific version
of the Microsoft JVM. Ugh.