Re: [opensuse] Address already in use
  • From: Sandy Drobic <opensuse@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 08 Oct 2009 09:36:12 +0200
Ricky Tompu Breaky wrote:
Dear my friends...

I use OpenSuSE11.1.

How can I know which TCP port number is being occupied? And how can
I know which service is using a certain port number? All I know only
turn off the firewall and doing "nmap -PN [FQDN-hostname]".

I get this error (in /var/log/mail) as I want to start my postfix:
postfix/master[10597]: fatal: bind 127.0.0.1 port 10025: Address
already in use

In your master.cf your have defined more than one transport, that binds to
this address and port. An example would be to use both localhost and all
addresses for this port:

master.cf:

10025 inet n - n - - smtpd
[...]
127.0.0.1:10025 inet n - n - - smtpd

The first transport will bind to all addresses on port 10025, the second one
tries to bind to port 10025 specifically to localhost. Unfortunately, the
first has already snatched that port for all ip addresses, so you get that
error message.

Solution:
Bind the first transport to a specific ip address:

master.cf:

1.2.3.4:10025 inet n - n - - smtpd
[...]
127.0.0.1:10025 inet n - n - - smtpd