Re: [opensuse] install open suse 11.1 from boot: prompt
  • From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2009 17:49:27 -0500
On Wednesday 07 October 2009 02:59:25 pm Steve Richter wrote:
installing open suse 11.1 on an IBM power blade.

I have mapped the system console to the partition I am installing suse
linux on. After activating the partition I am at a Boot: prompt.

What do I run at the boot: prompt to install the OS from DVD?

thanks,

Steve,

This is an Anders question (you listening Anders?? or other install
gurus?)
I'm not sure how a "blade" works, but presuming you have the map from
partition to console made, and that partition is an empty partition where you
want to install suse, then I would think you need to boot something (either
from the dvd drive if possible or make some type of ram disk so you can load
the install kernel into memory so that an install can take place.

It will take someone with far greater install nuts & bolts knowledge
than I
have to guide you on your way, but it shouldn't be that big of a deal, there
are a lot of blades running linux.

Here are a couple of titles that looked promising:

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-bootscsi/

(I haven't read it but IBM DeveloperWorks always has some good stuff)

http://forums.opensuse.org/archives/sf-archives/archives-install-boot/336758-
novell-suse-10-hp-proliant-blade-server.html

http://nozell.com/blog/2004/05/08/some-tips-to-reinstall-grub-on-an-hp-
proliant-server/

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=115&prodSeriesId=79357&prodTypeId=15351&objectID=lpn13771

Good luck.

(P.S. my search was "opensuse install blade server"

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC