Re: [opensuse] Windows 98SE can't access Samba openSUSE 11.1
since I updated from openSUSE 10.3 to 11.1 I cannot acces my samba
shares with Windows 98 SE anymore. Windows NT based Systems work as
before. Windows prompts for a password, but the valid smb password is
rejected. enabling/disabling plain passwords or encrypted passwords on
both sides doesn't change anything. No log entries in
samba's
logfiles. Using samba-3.2.7-11.3.2.

Older auth mechs (such as LANMAN) are disabled in recent versions of
Samba [and recent versions of Windows for that matter]. You need to
enable the appropriate legacy auth mech in smb.conf explicitly.

Possibly "lanman auth = yes" will do it.