Re: [opensuse] Coordinated, distributed ssh attacks?
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2009 00:29:37 +0200 (CEST)

On Tuesday, 2009-10-06 at 08:30 +0200, Joop Beris wrote:

On Monday 05 October 2009 20:46:53 John Andersen wrote:
You've misinterpreted the entire thread. Slow distributed ssh attacks
go right thru Fail2ban, because they don't hit you from the same address
and they don't hit you in quick succession.

You're right. Somehow I missed the "distributed" in the subject. I'm sorry, I
retract my comment. Obviously if the attacks are distributed, fail2ban,
denyhosts etc., will not work.

I think there was a comment today on this attack on slashdot, with a link to some interseting explanation.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.