[opensuse] Installing wireless on Dell Vostro
  • From: Stan Goodman <stan.goodman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Oct 2009 23:53:47 +0200
The expression "Cosa Vostra" keeps running through my mind.

I am now trying to install the internal wireless card in my Vostro
notebook machine. I've viewed quite a number of tutorials, and they all
fall short, sometimes because of offering" successful commands or
procedures that don't exist.

I found an encouraging one at
<http://www.susegeek.com/networking/fix-bcm4311431243214322-wireless-in-opensuse-111-and-earlier/>

that offers the following, mentioning specifically the card in my machine
and its available driver:

"Broadcom has released a linux version of its driver both 32-bit (x86) and
64bit (x86_64) editions for BCM4311, BCM4312, BCM4321 & BCM4322 Wireless
cards. A 1-click install Yast Metapackage file (YMP) is available for
install from Packman which makes it easy to get your wireless up and
running in no time."

He could have given a better clue about finding YMP.

I searched in YaST (with Packman repositories enabled) for "YMP"
and "metapackage", and found "yast2-metapackage-handler", which I am not
at all certain is what he means. I want to d/l it to the desktop machine,
so I tried to find it on Packman's website, searching for "ymp",
"metapackage", and even "yast2", with no success.

how can I find it?
--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on