Re: [opensuse] Panel bar problem in 11.1 install
  • From: Jim Sabatke <jsabatke@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 04 Oct 2009 09:31:29 -0500
Ken Schneider - openSUSE wrote:
Jim Sabatke pecked at the keyboard and wrote:

OK, I don't see any way of selecting KDE3 in the user maintenance. Do I
need to load other packages besides KDE3 to make it available or am I
just missing an obvious ( or not so obvious ) place to set the window
manager?

TIA,

Jim

Ken Schneider - openSUSE wrote:

<snip>

I'm running KDE4

TIA,

Jim

Use KDE3 until openSUSE 11.2 us released.

Please keep replies to the list only!

Which openSUSE version? It won't be available in 11.2 so you need to
install 11.1. When you get to the screen to select KDE or GNOME select
other (I think) and select it there.

Uh, the SuSE version is in the subject line.

I have no clue where the screen is that allows selection of the window
manager. I have KDE3, KDE4 and gnome loaded on my home computer and see
no way to select one; it certainly isn't on the login screen and I don't
see it anywhere in the user setup YaST utility.

I am trying to fix a friend's computer. He is experiencing severe
slowness that I haven't been able to have time to go over and take a
look at the system monitor, but I suspect it is the window manager. He
is incapable of doing a login with help over the phone, so I need to
make this as simple as possible.

I know I could do this on 10.2

Thanks,

Jim