Re: [opensuse] Support for Lenovo G530

----- Original Message ----- From: "phanisvara das" <phani00@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <opensuse@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, October 03, 2009 3:51 PM
Subject: Re: [opensuse] Support for Lenovo G530

On Sunday 04 October 2009 03:09:12 am david feustel wrote:
Neither the wireless nor the wired ports worked so I had
NO internet access until I reinstalled vista.

i think you're jumping the gun a little early; and if you go for MS again,
why vista? to me XP seems a much better choice, or even windows 7 (my kids
tell me that's much better than vista; didn't try it myself).

I only went back to vista after trying Opensuse, Fedora 11, and OpenBSD 4.5
on the laptop. I had been in the hospital with no good internet acess for 2 months
and I decided that Windows Vista was better than no access. I still prefer LINUX.

i had similar problems with an earlier version of openSUSE, that i couldn't
get the network card working after installing. it did work when running from
the live CD, though. eventually i managed to copy the hardware driver the
live CD was using to an existing ntfs drive, and moved it into the new linux
installation after reboot; that got my network working.

_if_ your lennovo runs from a live CD including network, you could try that.
if not you should be able to get a driver from the IBM or lennovo website;
IBM is doing quite a lot these days for open source development,
particularly supporting their own soft- and hardware.

--
phani.