Re: [opensuse] Partitioning problem in installing oS v11.1
  • From: Stan Goodman <stan.goodman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Oct 2009 20:45:58 +0200
At 18:46:58 on Saturday Saturday 03 October 2009, Felix Miata
<mrmazda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 2009/10/03 10:25 (GMT+0200) Stan Goodman composed:
The DFSee display now looks exactly as it should. Unfotunately, the
system doesn't boot. Instead of Boot Manager, I see a persistent
black screen.

The usual DFSee display doesn't show the MBR code. You must ask for it
explicitly. Ctrl-B will do that if done immediately after starting

Thank you for this material.

Ctrl-B brought up the relevant page. Unfortunately, new computers have
narrow screens vertically, so I can see only from 000D0 down, well after
the boot code. Beginning at 00FA, however, there is a remark: "Bad
part-tables!", then "Error loading OS" and "OpSys not found!". No great
surprise that it doesn't boot. =;-/8

Bringing up the Partition-table editor, I can see that it knows that the
Boot Manager is Active, and knows numbers for its geometry on the disk.
It has numbers also for the extended partiton, because those are implied
by the presence of the BM, but not for the logical partitions, which it
claims are not used.

Is there a way to recover the remaining partitions? Or do I charge the
past couple of days up to the learning experience?

DFSee. http://fm.no-ip.com/tmp/dfsee/stanMBR.txt shows that, and
looking at the last section (Ctrl-B shows as 'executing: t hex') you
can see OS/2 boot code strings. Most likely if you try the same you
won't see that. Probably you'll see Grub code there that expects to
find the active flag set on the extended, and since it doesn't, and
Grub MBR code has no space for error messages to be displayed when
something goes wrong, you get a blank screen. If I'm right about your
current problem, 'newmbr 1' from DFSee command line should give you
back your BM menu by replacing Grub MBR code with OS/2 MBR code.

It won't surprise me a lot if after doing this you wind up being
unable to boot Linux except from the DVD, but if the installer did
put Grub on / correctly, and not on the MBR, no fix should be
required if you've added it to BM's menu.

This was my forecast of what your current situation seems to be.

If you find I'm right about what I think the current state is and you
do as I spell out above it would be because Grub is not properly
installed on /. You would need to boot the oS rescue system on the DVD
to properly install Grub to / (sda6).

The Grub installation scripts from rescue might not do what you expect.
They might put Grub back onto the extended and the MBR. I never use an
oS rescue system myself, preferring to either boot a Knoppix CD or
another installed Linux elsewhere on HD and install manually from a
Grub prompt.
http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html#Installing-GRUB-nativ
ely explains how I install Grub manually. It only takes a few commands
and doesn't require having the target partition properly mounted, or
even mounted at all.

On the desktop machine on which I am writing, the partitioning is
done in the same way, and all with logical partitions (three linuces
and an OS/2 relic). They are all marked on the DFSee screen with the
asterisk, and they all boot.

But there in order to be using IBM BM the MBR code is either generic or
IBM virtual generic.

I initially had a USB trackball that I connected, but it was as
erratic than the touchpad. Then I discovered that removing the
trackball made the touchpad somewhat less erratic, so I left it out.

Old ones used wheels instead of optics, got dirty fast, which made them
erratic. I just ordered
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/414650-REG/Kensington_64327_Orbit
_Optical_Trackball_USB.html a few days ago.

This trackball is an optical one, so its behavior can't be blamed on dirty
wheels.

--
" A patriot without religion . . . is as great a
paradox, as an honest man without the fear of God. . . .

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on