Re: [opensuse] Partitioning problem in installing oS v11.1
  • From: Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 03 Oct 2009 12:46:58 -0400
On 2009/10/03 10:25 (GMT+0200) Stan Goodman composed:

The DFSee display now looks exactly as it should. Unfotunately, the system
doesn't boot. Instead of Boot Manager, I see a persistent black screen.

The usual DFSee display doesn't show the MBR code. You must ask for it
explicitly. Ctrl-B will do that if done immediately after starting DFSee.
http://fm.no-ip.com/tmp/dfsee/stanMBR.txt shows that, and looking at the last
section (Ctrl-B shows as 'executing: t hex') you can see OS/2 boot code
strings. Most likely if you try the same you won't see that. Probably you'll
see Grub code there that expects to find the active flag set on the extended,
and since it doesn't, and Grub MBR code has no space for error messages to be
displayed when something goes wrong, you get a blank screen. If I'm right
about your current problem, 'newmbr 1' from DFSee command line should give
you back your BM menu by replacing Grub MBR code with OS/2 MBR code.

It won't surprise me a lot if after doing this you wind up being unable
to boot Linux except from the DVD, but if the installer did put Grub on
/ correctly, and not on the MBR, no fix should be required if you've
added it to BM's menu.

This was my forecast of what your current situation seems to be.

If you find I'm right about what I think the current state is and you do as I
spell out above it would be because Grub is not properly installed on /. You
would need to boot the oS rescue system on the DVD to properly install Grub
to / (sda6).

The Grub installation scripts from rescue might not do what you expect. They
might put Grub back onto the extended and the MBR. I never use an oS rescue
system myself, preferring to either boot a Knoppix CD or another installed
Linux elsewhere on HD and install manually from a Grub prompt.
http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html#Installing-GRUB-natively
explains how I install Grub manually. It only takes a few commands and
doesn't require having the target partition properly mounted, or even mounted
at all.

On the desktop machine on which I am writing, the partitioning is done in
the same way, and all with logical partitions (three linuces and an OS/2
relic). They are all marked on the DFSee screen with the asterisk, and
they all boot.

But there in order to be using IBM BM the MBR code is either generic or IBM
virtual generic.

I initially had a USB trackball that I connected, but it was as erratic
than the touchpad. Then I discovered that removing the trackball made the
touchpad somewhat less erratic, so I left it out.

Old ones used wheels instead of optics, got dirty fast, which made them
erratic. I just ordered
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/414650-REG/Kensington_64327_Orbit_Optical_Trackball_USB.html
a few days ago.
--
" A patriot without religion . . . is as great a
paradox, as an honest man without the fear of God. . . .

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/