Re: [opensuse] Re: Partitioning problem in installing oS v11.1
  • From: Stan Goodman <stan.goodman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Oct 2009 13:55:26 +0200
At 13:02:44 on Saturday Saturday 03 October 2009, "Carlos E. R."
<robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Friday, 2009-10-02 at 19:54 +0200, Stan Goodman wrote:
where/how? you can't make more than two more partition, the two
remaining primaries.

So far, the only primary on the system is the Boot Manager, all the
rest are logical. If I install other OS(s), its/their partitions will
also be logical.

Not true.

You wrote this table:

Device Boot Start End Blocks ID System
/dev/sda1 * 1 1 8001 a OS/2 Boot Manager
/dev/sda2 2 9479 76132035 5 Extended
/dev/sda5 2 271 2168743 82 Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sda6 272 4238 31684896 83 Linux
/dev/sda7 4239 9479 42098301 83 Linux

There are two primaries there: sda2 is also a primary.

This is true. But I never asked for sda3 and sda4, let alone wished for
any additional primary partitions. And after the installation finished, I
deleted those two.

A manual partitioner, such as fdisk, can now only create two more
partitions, sda3 and 4. No more. It is possible to extend sda2, then
add inside sda8, 9, 10, etc. But that is usually a manual and dangerous
operation. Some partitioners handle that situation automatically,
perhaps dfsee.

It does, transparently.

But I have already showed that there are no sda3 or sda4. They are
figments of a diseased BIOS (if not of the installer, which I doubt).
They don't exist. You saw the fdisk table.

No, they are the proposed scheme the suse installer made. Not yet
written.

And now they are gone, in Partition Heaven.

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on