Re: [opensuse] Re: Windows (NTFS) file defragmenter from Linux
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Oct 2009 12:22:42 +0200 (CEST)

On Saturday, 2009-10-03 at 11:07 +0100, David Bolt wrote:

Actually, looking at mlabel and all the setting up to make it work, I
seriously think I'll stick with reformatting the USB keys and flash
cards. It looks as though I'd need to make changes for each different
one I want to relabel. It'd be quicker for me to reformat giving it the
new label, packing and unpacking any contents if required.

Actually, you only need one change, one line, like:

drive o: file="/dev/sda1"
drive p: file="/dev/sdb1"
drive q: file="/dev/sdc1"

Just create lines for the device nodes where your sticks usually appear, and then use the letter for that one in the command line. Mtools are a usefull set of tools. Even if you need to edit the line, it is faster than reformatting.

Some tools:

* mclasserase:: erase memory card

* minfo:: get information about an MS-DOS filesystem.

* mzip:: zip disk specific commands

* mformat:: add an MS-DOS filesystem to a low-level formatted floppy
disk

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.