[opensuse] New way to thoroughly check for network bottlenecks and simulating a network load
  • From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Oct 2009 03:43:17 -0500
List,

For those that dream of a good tool to generate sufficient network I/O
for
testing routing, etc.. Take one or two of your Linux boxes containing
VirtualBox (Linux host/XP or Vista guest) Forward X via ssh from a remote
computer at the office that has the XP or Vista guest and then from an xterm
type "VirtualBox" then hit the Start button on the VB console. Works great and
will provide a sustained load on the internal subnet as the guest (now on your
box via ssh) goes through the boot process that appears to be somewhat I/O
intensive for the windows guest. 45min and I'm still waiting to get a usable
task bar, Best part about the setup -- FREE :p

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC