Re: [opensuse] Re: Partitioning problem in installing oS v11.1
  • From: Stan Goodman <stan.goodman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Oct 2009 10:35:37 +0200
At 19:51:13 on Friday Friday 02 October 2009, Felix Miata
<mrmazda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 2009/10/02 15:04 (GMT+0200) Stan Goodman composed:
Restarting withe the DFSee disk, I made a new MBR and made
partitions. The Boot Manager is now NOT in the MBR. It is marked
ACTIVE. I made three

Don't say "The Boot Manaager", as it is unclear what you mean. If you
mean IBM Boot Manager, write "IBM Boot Manager", "IBM BM", "Boot
Manager" or "BM". Most here aren't conscious of your many years using
OS/2 and its Boot Manager that lives on its own primary partition. If
you mean some other boot manager, do not capitalize the words boot or
manager; and better yet, refer to it by capitalized name, e.g. Grub or
Lilo.

logical partitions, including a Swap (sda5), and two for / (sda6)
and /home (sda7). There is nothing more on the disk, unless it is in
the unwiped 31.5 at the end of the disk. There couldn't be anything
else.

At this point had you saved DFSEE.LOG to put in an email you could have
made JDD happy, as it is a good substitute for the output of 'fdisk -l'
that he repeatedly asks for but you never provide.

You are right about all the above. Sorry.

I then inserted the oS installation disk and booted from it. When it
got to the s stage of suggesting partitions,

This is where your problem starts. When you partition in advance, you
must select advance partitioning to be able to use what has already
been created.

That must be the difference between past experience and the current
struggle.

it offered to put / on sda3
(20GB) and /home on sda4 (140.7GB); I did not make these, and I do
not recognize the size numbers.

That's because the automatic partitioning you chose to do will use part
or all your HD as it sees fit to present you with its proposal.

Very clear. This is what jdd said, and I did not connect the dots.

Note that automatic partitioning will normally include at least one
primary for its own use. You gave it none to choose from, so it had to
create one.

I did make the Boot Manager before I started, and it was of necessity
primary. The installer, of course, didn't know this. Again, the basic
problem was the result of choosing automatic partitioning.
--
" A patriot without religion . . . is as great a
paradox, as an honest man without the fear of God. . . .

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on