Re: [opensuse] Re: Partitioning problem in installing oS v11.1
  • From: Stan Goodman <stan.goodman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2009 23:23:07 +0200
At 20:16:32 on Friday Friday 02 October 2009, Per Jessen
<per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Stan Goodman wrote:
Please correct me if I am wrong, but I do not think I have a
second extended partition, and I don't see any sda3 or sda4 in the
fdisk table I sent you. They are fictions. The question of sharing
Swap doesn't arrive now; it will when I install additional OS(s).

didn't you quote YaST installer, with 160Go partitions? it's there
that sda3 and 4 could have been used

But I have already showed that there are no sda3 or sda4. They are
figments of a diseased BIOS (if not of the installer, which I doubt).
They don't exist. You saw the fdisk table.

Stan, they are PROPOSED partitions. They don't exist YET. As jdd
pointed out, your sda1+sda2 partition does not occupy the entire disk,
so when YaST comes along to try to automatically propose a partitioning
scheme, it doesn't touch whatever you've got allocated, instead it
tries to use the unallocated/unpartitioned space.

Please see the message I posted a few minutes ago, showing the
arrangement thatthe installer made during installation. It added its own
three partitions, overlapping the ones that I approved. It told me it
was going to do that, and there was not way to stop it.

My last posting in this saga - I'm beginning to doubt if you're
actually reading what everyone is writing.

I'm sincerely very sorry you feel that way, and hope you will change our
mind.. Of course I have read every message in the thread, including
yours. At the same time, I am interleaving the reading with trying to
manipulate what I see. I appreciate every remark, and have responded to
nearly every one.

/Per

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (13.9°C)