Re: [opensuse] Partitioning problem in installing oS v11.1
  • From: Stan Goodman <stan.goodman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2009 23:12:37 +0200
At 22:51:34 on Friday Friday 02 October 2009, Felix Miata
<mrmazda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 2009/10/02 22:02 (GMT+0200) Stan Goodman composed:
Felix Miata wrote:
Can you plug a USB keyboard into your new laptop? If you can, there
may be a workaround. On a US 101+ key PS/2 keyboard on a DOS boot or
a Linux tty[1-6] one can type Alt-(keypad)048 to put a 0 on the
screen. I just tested that this works on tty2 in 11.0 running dfsee
for Linux. I haven't tried DFSDOS, but it should work there as well,
since I know it works from DOS command prompt. It does not work in
Konsole, so I suppose it won't work in any Xorg's DTE.

My immediate workaround was to devise names that I was able to type.
My longer term workaround will be to stay out of the BIOS as much as
possible.

I thought the no 0 problem was while trying to partition. Where in the
BIOS were you supposed to type a 0?

I wanted to enter sizes, e.g. 20000 bytes. So I wrote 21111. It anyway
sets the size according to where the cylinder boundaries are.

Right now is that the installation is in its final throes, I mean
stages (it is doing its reboot), after a nerve-racking couple of
hours trying to manage the erratic touch pad which is not worth the
powder to blow it to hell.

Now it has given me its first error message: "No network running".
The network IS running, which really means that the card is not
enabled. I have to find out how to enable it; others on the 'Net have
reported that it is a mystery. I will also have the touch pad
disconnected physicall -- I'm told there is no other way.

If you can't get network up, please start a new thread for getting help
if Google can't find you an answer. Be sure to include the output of
lspci -v applicable to your network hardware if you have to ask.

Right.

I can't remember why I bought a Dell.

Better than average longevity and support is why I recommend Dell, but
no major vendors are without aggravating flaws.
--
" A patriot without religion . . . is as great a
paradox, as an honest man without the fear of God. . . .

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on