Re: [opensuse] Re: Partitioning problem in installing oS v11.1
  • From: Stan Goodman <stan.goodman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2009 23:05:59 +0200
At 20:12:38 on Friday Friday 02 October 2009, Felix Miata
<mrmazda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Now the installation is finished, and I can see what it did to the
partitioniing etc.

The order of partitions according to ID number (not ux) is as follows:

1) Primary: Boot Manager
2) Logical: sda5 (LinuxV1 - Swapspace2)
3) Logical: sda6 (/) (GRUB)
4) Logical: sda7 (/home)

All the above have the sizes I requested.

5) Primary: sda3 (LinuxxT1 - Swap)
6) Primary: sda4 (Unknown)

Altogether, accounting for the entire disk.

I do not know the meaning of T1 and V1 for the two swaps.

Here is the fdisk listing:

Device Boot Start End ID System
/dev/sda1 1 1 -- a OS/2 Boot Manager
/dev/sda2 2 8204 -- 5 Extended
/dev/sda3 8205 8466 -- 82 Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sda4 8467 30401 -- 83 Linux
/dev/sda5 2 271 -- 82 Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sda6 272 2963 -- 82 Linux
/dev/sda7 2964 8204 -- 83 Linux

So the 'fictitious' particians are real, and overlap the ones I made. I
will try to delete tham, but don't know what effect that will have on
the 'real ones'. A real snakes nest.

Some other things have happened:

The Boot Manager, which I carefully made Active, is no longer so. No
partition is Active, so booting will be impossible. I think I can fix
that by deleting the Boot Manager and making a new one, which will give
me the option of making it Active.

None of the partitions is Bootable, although I know that I had set sda6 as
Bootable.

DFSee gives another warning as well warning: The extended partition is
marked as Bootable. There is no way I could do that, even if I wanted to,
but I have fixed it with DFSee -- truly the Swiss Knife of utilities!!

Never have I had such a daunting installation experience. And the only new
element (thus probable culprit) in it was the Dell.

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on