Re: [opensuse] Re: Partitioning problem in installing oS v11.1
  • From: Stan Goodman <stan.goodman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2009 22:02:09 +0200
At 20:12:38 on Friday Friday 02 October 2009, Felix Miata
<mrmazda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 2009/10/02 18:22 (GMT+0200) Stan Goodman composed:
This machine has yet another problem, by the way. When I set up the
partitions and wanted to set sizes for them, the "0" key produced "?"
instead, so I let sizes like e.g. 41111. When I wanted to set names
for them, many of the alphabetical keys produced numbers instead. The
BIOS is screwed up.

Can you plug a USB keyboard into your new laptop? If you can, there may
be a workaround. On a US 101+ key PS/2 keyboard on a DOS boot or a
Linux tty[1-6] one can type Alt-(keypad)048 to put a 0 on the screen. I
just tested that this works on tty2 in 11.0 running dfsee for Linux. I
haven't tried DFSDOS, but it should work there as well, since I know it
works from DOS command prompt. It does not work in Konsole, so I
suppose it won't work in any Xorg's DTE.

My immediate workaround was to devise names that I was able to type. My
longer term workaround will be to stay out of the BIOS as much as
possible.

Right now is that the installation is in its final throes, I mean stages
(it is doing its reboot), after a nerve-racking couple of hours trying to
manage the erratic touch pad which is not worth the powder to blow it to
hell.

Now it has given me its first error message: "No network running". The
network IS running, which really means that the card is not enabled. I
have to find out how to enable it; others on the 'Net have reported that
it is a mystery. I will also have the touch pad disconnected physicall --
I'm told there is no other way.

I can't remember why I bought a Dell.

--
" A patriot without religion . . . is as great a
paradox, as an honest man without the fear of God. . . .

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on