Re: [opensuse] Re: Partitioning problem in installing oS v11.1
  • From: Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 02 Oct 2009 13:51:13 -0400
On 2009/10/02 15:04 (GMT+0200) Stan Goodman composed:

Restarting withe the DFSee disk, I made a new MBR and made partitions. The
Boot Manager is now NOT in the MBR. It is marked ACTIVE. I made three

Don't say "The Boot Manaager", as it is unclear what you mean. If you mean
IBM Boot Manager, write "IBM Boot Manager", "IBM BM", "Boot Manager" or "BM".
Most here aren't conscious of your many years using OS/2 and its Boot Manager
that lives on its own primary partition. If you mean some other boot manager,
do not capitalize the words boot or manager; and better yet, refer to it by
capitalized name, e.g. Grub or Lilo.

logical partitions, including a Swap (sda5), and two for / (sda6)
and /home (sda7). There is nothing more on the disk, unless it is in the
unwiped 31.5 at the end of the disk. There couldn't be anything else.

At this point had you saved DFSEE.LOG to put in an email you could have made
JDD happy, as it is a good substitute for the output of 'fdisk -l' that he
repeatedly asks for but you never provide.

I then inserted the oS installation disk and booted from it. When it got
to the s stage of suggesting partitions,

This is where your problem starts. When you partition in advance, you must
select advance partitioning to be able to use what has already been created.

it offered to put / on sda3
(20GB) and /home on sda4 (140.7GB); I did not make these, and I do not
recognize the size numbers.

That's because the automatic partitioning you chose to do will use part or
all your HD as it sees fit to present you with its proposal.

Note that automatic partitioning will normally include at least one primary
for its own use. You gave it none to choose from, so it had to create one.
--
" A patriot without religion . . . is as great a
paradox, as an honest man without the fear of God. . . .

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/