[opensuse] Re: Partitioning problem in installing oS v11.1
  • From: "<jdd-gmane>" <jdd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 02 Oct 2009 19:08:33 +0200
Stan Goodman a écrit :

Explained in a previous message. You are cnnfusing "Boot Manager"
and "Boot Loader".

we desagreee. Grub and lilo can perfectly boot any OS on you disk and
don't need any special partition. You can also boot linux from windows
(it's enough to point to the kernel, details are irrelevant now)

I will install another OS at a later time.

where/how? you can't make more than two more partition, the two
remaining primaries.

To do what you want, you should give the extended *all the disk*, so
then you can create nearly any number of partitions to accomodate any
number of operating systems. primary partition can be only 4 (extended
included).

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I do not think I have a second
extended partition, and I don't see any sda3 or sda4 in the fdisk table I
sent you. They are fictions. The question of sharing Swap doesn't arrive
now; it will when I install additional OS(s).

didn't you quote YaST installer, with 160Go partitions? it's there
that sda3 and 4 could have been used

I also don't see that the installer tried to use the free space. The free
space is at the end of the disk, whereas it has deluded itself into
finding it near the beginning.

doesn't matter. As long as the free space is contiguous, it can be
anywhere on the disk

Good guess for YaST

That goes over my head. Would you please explain it?

You quoted the YaST installer. It found the free space and made a
proposal accordingly, leaving the previous partitions untouched

jdd

--
http://www.dodin.net
http://valerie.dodin.org