Re: [opensuse] Re: Partitioning problem in installing oS v11.1
  • From: Stan Goodman <stan.goodman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2009 18:37:57 +0200
At 18:06:38 on Friday Friday 02 October 2009, jdd <jdd@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Stan Goodman a écrit :
Device Boot Start End Blocks ID System
/dev/sda1 * 1 1 8001 a OS/2 Boot
Manager

curious. I don't see the use of a 8Mo partition. Looks like you
installed a special boot manager (unknow from me). You don't want to
use grub or lilo?

Explained in a previous message. You are cnnfusing "Boot Manager"
and "Boot Loader".

/dev/sda2 2 9479 76132035 5 Extended

given you dont have any other primary, extended partition should take
the hole disk. seems not. Didn't you said your disk is 250Go? here I
see only 76Go

I will install another OS at a later time. Right now, I am installing
v11.1. When a stable later release is available, I will install that, and
v11.1 will become the maintenance system. I will likely install other
stuff; which doesn't have to be done now. FYI, there is even another HD
on the machine.

/dev/sda5 2 271 2168743 82 Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sda6 272 4238 31684896 83 Linux
/dev/sda7 4239 9479 42098301 83 Linux

no problem here, 2Go swap, 31Go root (I suppose, it's too large for
most system), 42Go data (/home?)

It is indeed too large; I will repartition and make it 20GB.

be aware that sda5-7 are *included in* sda2, so you don't have to add
sda2 to the total.

Did I do that? I know better. Charge it up to irritation with the topic of
this thread.

so calculating approx, 256-76=180, so YaST was only trying to install
in the free space. Notice you can't have two extended, so you have to
use sda3 and sda4 primary (no problem to share swap)

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I do not think I have a second
extended partition, and I don't see any sda3 or sda4 in the fdisk table I
sent you. They are fictions. The question of sharing Swap doesn't arrive
now; it will when I install additional OS(s).

I also don't see that the installer tried to use the free space. The free
space is at the end of the disk, whereas it has deluded itself into
finding it near the beginning.

Good guess for YaST

That goes over my head. Would you please explain it?

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on