[opensuse] Re: Partitioning problem in installing oS v11.1
  • From: jdd <jdd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 02 Oct 2009 15:21:08 +0200
Stan Goodman a écrit :

I have now wiped the entire disk.

Toward the end of the wipe, when DFSee said the ETA was 6 seconds and

this is BAD and thrilling.

partitionning should *not* erase the drive (mostly)

Restarting withe the DFSee disk, I made a new MBR and made partitions. The
Boot Manager is now NOT in the MBR. It is marked ACTIVE.

this don't mean anything. The boot anager have nothing to do with
partitions. the boot manager is a program (lilo, grub, similar for
win). What you may have is one small partition for /boot (optional
nowadays)

I made three
logical partitions, including a Swap (sda5), and two for / (sda6)
and /home (sda7). There is nothing more on the disk, unless it is in the
unwiped 31.5 at the end of the disk. There couldn't be anything else.

of course it can be. Most data are probably still on the disk (depend
of what your programm call "wiped")

I then inserted the oS installation disk and booted from it. When it got
to the s stage of suggesting partitions, it offered to put / on sda3
(20GB) and /home on sda4 (140.7GB); I did not make these, and I do not
recognize the size numbers.

this is the openSUSE default for free disk (sensible)

It did put Swap on sda5, with the size I had made, and then listed sda6
and sda7 with the sizes I had made., without specifying mounting points.

Summarizing, it inserted 160GB into the partition array on its own
initiative.

I think I have presented all the details that I have observed. If I have
omitted something, please don't hesitate to ask.

you didn't give nearly any usefull data, sorry.

what is the full size of your drive? you have to write down the
starting/ending sector of each partition.

it's not possible to install wibdows on a logical partition, only on
primary one. Linux don't care, however it's better to have the boot
partition (or root if only one) on a primary, easier to recover in
case of disaster

run the openSUSE dvd, rescue system and type fdisk -l

copy the result here

jdd
--
http://www.dodin.net