Re: [opensuse] Can use the incoming mailserver but not the outgoing mailserver.
  • From: Sandy Drobic <opensuse@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 02 Oct 2009 12:28:13 +0200
Per Jessen wrote:
Sandy Drobic wrote:

Per Jessen wrote:
Sandy Drobic wrote:

There are some requirements for "real" mailserver:
- fixed ip address
- matching hostname and reverse lookup for that hostname
(cough) ... wouldn't that be nice, but it's not exactly a hard
requirement.
Grin! Do you mean "it's not a difficult requirement" or do you mean
"it is not a really necessary requirement"?

Both I suppose - after all, people get away with running mailservers on
IP-addresses without proper reverse mapping for years and years. I
_do_ think each and every mailserver _should_ have a proper reverse
mapping set up, but just as with the requirement for HELO to match the
hostname, only a few fools enforce it and refuse to accept mails from
such a poorly configured mailserver.

The old rule still applies: configure your own system to match the
requirements as good as possible, so other servers won't complain about your
server, but require only the sensible minimum from other servers.

My addendum is, that I slap a few extra checks on "unknown" servers or systems
with a sloppy setup like greylisting and some more RBL checks. But I do not
reject them solely by their hostname or missing reverse dns record.