Re: [opensuse] Re: Partitioning problem in installing oS v11.1
  • From: Stan Goodman <stan.goodman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2009 12:03:58 +0200
At 11:09:41 on Friday Friday 02 October 2009, jdd <jdd@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Stan Goodman a écrit :
I think, in fact, that HDs have two copies of the partition table.

No, not true.

DOS/Windows have two fat, may be this is the error

The machine has been rebooted many times since the DFSee operations.
What is there is the partitions I put there, not what the installer
says.

please, when somebody ask you to give an info, give it.

I thought the answer I gave Carlos was a complete one. It seemed clear
from his question that he wanted to see if a reboot would clear up the
confusion; I answered that the system had been rebooted many times,
implying that another one wouldn't help.

open a terminal with any linux on this computer, go root and type
"fdisk -l"

There was at the time no Linux or any other operating system on the disk,
only empty partitions. I could have used DFSee in fdisk mode, but I
didn't think of it at 2 in the morning. For the record, the fdisk mode
did show me the partition arrangement on the disk, which was the Boot
Manager (in the MBR, as has been noted, although I can't fathom how it
got there), and the three partitions that I had made.

There still is no system. Right now, the machine is wiping the free
space -- which is the entire disk because I have deleted the partitions.
I had previously wiped Track 1.

I'm sure I could have done with wiping less, but I am now in a mode of
preferring overkill to leaving anything undone.

copy here the result...

thanks
jdd

--