Re: [opensuse] Partitioning problem in installing oS v11.1
  • From: Stan Goodman <stan.goodman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2009 18:58:34 +0200
At 17:32:42 on Thursday Thursday 01 October 2009, Felix Miata
<mrmazda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 2009/10/01 11:13 (GMT+0200) Stan Goodman composed:
I am trying to install oS v11.1 on a new Dell Vostro 1501 laptop. A
problem has arisen that I don't know how to deal with.

I had succeeded in installing the system in partitions that I had
made using DFSee. I decided after working with it for a few days that
I had made some decisions in the installation options that I now
regretted, and decided to repeat the installation from scratch. One
of the changes I wanted to make was/is the partitioning scheme.

Here I have to describe exactly how I made the new partitions.

I deleted all the existing partitions, so that the HD was all free
space.

Precisely, in detail, how did you delete?

DFSee > Mode >Delete Partition.

I made the Boot Manager and made it Active. It is located in the MBR.

Please detail what you mean here. "Boot Manager" normally refers to
IBM's OS2/eCS boot management system that lives on its own partition,
and not the MBR. OTOH, Grub and Lilo are boot managers/boot loaders,
which may or may not "live" on the MBR, depending on how they are

That is quite correct. It is the IBM boot manager (that;s the only one
that DFSee knows) and it is on MBR, which surprised me, because I know it
doesn't belong there. Another thing that surprised me is that "LVM"
appears at the left end of the fist line of the BM; I do not use LVM
partitions.

Yes, it is screwed up, and I am the only one that did it. I do not know
HOW I did it.

needed and installed. If IBM BM, Grub or Lilo are installed on a
primary partition they either may be or need be set to "active" state,
depending on whether standard or non-standard code is or is to be
installed in the MBR's code section.

I also made three partitions, for Swap (typr 82), Root and Home (both
type 83). There are now no other partitions on the disk. I then
started the installation.

When the installer proposes partitioning, it doesn't see the
partitions I have made, although I know they are there.

Maybe your new laptop has some new extended BIOS function that saves
partitioning data, or expects or prefers GPT partition tables? Was
Windows installed when you got it? If so, it likely had GPT, and DFSee
may have deleted only the legacy portion of the GPT tables, leaving
inconsistency between the "new" tables and the old GPT spare at the end
of the disk? Did you cold boot (full power down) between creating
partitions and starting the Linux installation program?

What was pre-installed was Ubuntu 8xx. I had ordered it with FreeDos, but
it came with Ubuntu.

It sees the BM primary, the
large extended, and five (5) logical partitions, none of which
resembles those that I actually made. But what the installer claims
to see is exactly what I suggested to it in the earlier installation.

I looked for a way to delete the partition tables, but found only an
option to clean them. That didn't help.

What do I have to do to get it to forget the past and live in the
present?

Wipe several tracks at the start and end of the disk, or the whole
disk. DFSee can do it. So can dd and various other Linux utilities.

That makes sense. I assume that after doing so I must make a new MBR and
partition table.

" A patriot without religion . . . is as great a
paradox, as an honest man without the fear of God. . . .
2nd U.S. President, John Adams
Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/

--