Re: [opensuse] Re: Partitioning problem in installing oS v11.1
  • From: Stan Goodman <stan.goodman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2009 18:45:11 +0200
At 16:08:57 on Thursday Thursday 01 October 2009, Per Jessen
<per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Stan Goodman wrote:
At 14:23:39 on Thursday Thursday 01 October 2009, Per Jessen

<per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Stan Goodman wrote:
as somebody else said, why don't you use YaST installer to do the
partitionning?

Among other reasons, because I want to know why the installer has
retained partition information that isn't there anymore, and where
it is storing obsolete information.

Partition information is stored in the partition tables. When the
partitioner finds your old partition scheme it's because it is still
stored there.

I don't know dfsee either, I always use fdisk - what does fdisk says
when you print the partition table?

I know that the partition tables store the partition scheme. But if I
see a certain arrangement, that must be what the partition table is
storing.

Exactly.

I think, in fact, that HDs have two copies of the partition table.

Yes, it does.

If that is true, it means that DFSee (and almost certainly fdisk as
well) is looking at one of them, and the oS installer is l ooking at
the other.

Quite possibly, but then the real question becomes - how did they end
up being different?

I don't know. This has never happened to me before, and I hope it never
happens again. Perhaps by the time the problem is cleared, I will have an
answer.

DFSee, by the way, is among other things an alternative to fdisk, but
much more versatile -- and it works with Linux, Windows, Mac (I
think), and OS/2. You can look at its website, or ask e.g. Felix
Miata (or anyone else who came from OS/2) about it.

I "come from" OS2 myself, but DFSee wasn't of my tools back then.

Then you left very early on. I don't remember when its first release came
out, but it was quite a long time ago. Maybe you didn't notice it.

/Per

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (18.1°C)

--