Re: [opensuse] the fundamental SuSE package management tools?
  • From: Pit Suetterlin <P.Suetterlin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2009 16:27:06 +0100
Carlos E. R. wrote:

Previously, an rpm package contained the info about what packages it
depended upon. Now, instead, it references the libraries it needs, and a
package manager is required to find out what packages provides those
libraries, pulling the information from the repositories metadata.

Wether you call this a disadvantage depends. It was definitely a way to lock
installs to just one distribution. But RPM itself *is* of course enough to
resolve it, you just have to pipe all the requirements through an 'rpm -q
--whatprovides'

There is another alternative package manager, I think its called "smart". I
haven't tried it myself, so I can't talk about it.

smart is (was) the better apt. I used apt4rpm with my early SuSEs, then
switched to smart (which was slower, but indeed much smarter than apt when it
came to resolving problems). With 11.0 I switched to zypper and it
outperforms smart in speed, and from my impression so far it's at least par
with it in smartness...

Cheers,

Pit

--