[opensuse] Partitioning problem in installing oS v11.1
  • From: Stan Goodman <stan.goodman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2009 11:13:32 +0200
I am trying to install oS v11.1 on a new Dell Vostro 1501 laptop. A
problem has arisen that I don't know how to deal with.

I had succeeded in installing the system in partitions that I had made
using DFSee. I decided after working with it for a few days that I had
made some decisions in the installation options that I now regretted, and
decided to repeat the installation from scratch. One of the changes I
wanted to make was/is the partitioning scheme.

Here I have to describe exactly how I made the new partitions.

I deleted all the existing partitions, so that the HD was all free space.

I made the Boot Manager and made it Active. It is located in the MBR.

I also made three partitions, for Swap (typr 82), Root and Home (both type
83). There are now no other partitions on the disk. I then started the
installation.

When the installer proposes partitioning, it doesn't see the partitions I
have made, although I know they are there. It sees the BM primary, the
large extended, and five (5) logical partitions, none of which resembles
those that I actually made. But what the installer claims to see is
exactly what I suggested to it in the earlier installation.

I looked for a way to delete the partition tables, but found only an
option to clean them. That didn't help.

What do I have to do to get it to forget the past and live in the present?
--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on