Re: [opensuse] New installation, erratic mouse cursor
  • From: Stan Goodman <stan.goodman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2009 10:51:19 +0200
At 09:37:03 on Thursday Thursday 01 October 2009, "David C. Rankin"
<drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wednesday 30 September 2009 01:14:15 pm Stan Goodman wrote:
At 18:02:31 on Wednesday Wednesday 30 September 2009, "David C.
Rankin"

<drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tuesday 29 September 2009 06:58:45 pm Stan Goodman wrote:
I've installed v11.1 on a new notebook machine, and am finding it
difficult to control the mouse. The motion of its cursor is
erratic when I am trying to move it, sometimes jumping clear
across the screen; it's enough to try ones patience. The external
mouse and the machines touch panel behave identically, so the
problem must not be in the mouse itself, but then I don't know
what to suspect.

Details:

Dell Vostro 1501
Desktop KDE4 (I suppose this is 4.1, on the 11.1 DVD)

I have other problems with kde4, but I will ask about these
tomorrow, as it is now 0200 here and I am beat.

Stan,

I've seen that before on several occasions. (admittedly wishy
washy answer) But it is something I have had that generally cures
itself. Try running sax2 again, and then restart the box. When it
has occurred on my boxes, it is like the mouse bit-rate gets
confused and then is reset either through going through the gui
setup or just gets happy on the next boot.

I found out that it is that bad only when there is a mouse connected;
then both mouse and touch panel become really aggravation. So I have
disconnected the mouse (because I haven't yet found how to disable
the touch screen, which I don't like at all.

I succeeded to finish an installation this morning, with KDE4,
because I thought the time had come to get used to it (I have been
using KDE3 on my desktop machine). I am sorry to sound like I am that
set in my ways, but I don't like the KDE4 interface, which seems to
have made large numbers of changes mostly for the sake of change
(where have we heard that?). I've deleted the installation, and will
repeat it with KDE3. I will have a lot of soul searching to do when a
release comes out without the KDE3 option.

I trust you know about syndaemon, that disables the touchpad for x
number of seconds after the keyboard is used to help with cursor
movements caused by brushing the touchpad while typing. I use it in an
autostart script in kde:

syndaemon -d -p /var/run/dcr/syndaemon.pid -K

IIRC, it also has the ability to completely disable the touchpad in the
event you don't have another way. Give it a look ;-)

Apparently it can do this only for finite periods, while I will want to
disable the touchpad permanently. I'm sure I will find how to do that,
and I don't see it as a problem.

Meantime, a much more serious problem has popped up, which I will describe
in a new message.

Thanks much.

--
Stan Goodman