Re: [opensuse] Using desktop cube
  • From: Rodney Baker <rodney.baker@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 00:21:59 +0930
On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 23:42:49 Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
[...]
That is because compiz and kde-win are 2 different window managers. If
you use compiz as your window manager (which runs on top of the kde
desktop) you use ccsm. If, OTOH, you use kde-win (which now has its own
desktop effects completely independent of compiz), you use the KDE
configurator.

I guess I was confused by a name like 'simple-ccsm-kde' not meaning that
it was actually configuring something for use by kde. I guess the 'kde'
in the name really means the configuration program is written to run
under KDE, but it does not change anything KDE actually uses.

OOC, is there an up-to-date (openSUSE 11.1, kde 4.2.4 or newer)
description of using compiz as the window manager rather than kwin? I
went through all this a year or so ago with Autostart files and other
it-is-not-really-integrated-yet stuff. Is this still the case? In fact,
is there any reason to use compiz over kwin?

Not IMHO, no (but that is just my taste), unless you want to run emerald as
the window decorator. That only works with compiz.

In my experience, compiz is way better integrated (and more stable) with gnome
rather than kde, however I've not tried it with kde4. Kwin works fine for my
purposes.

Others on this list have used it with kde4, however, so they might like to
comment (David?).

Regards,
Rodney Baker VK5ZTV
rodney.baker@xxxxxxxxxxxx