Re: [opensuse] Using desktop cube
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 16:12:49 +0200
On Mon, 2009-06-29 at 22:56 +0930, Rodney Baker wrote:
On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 15:52:03 Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
[...]
and one the KDE CCSM. Add to the confusion that the two that are
together in the Utilities->Desktop menu (ccsm and simple-ccsm-kde) are
both the ones that do not have any effect on KDE. simple-ccsm-kde is a
real mystery. What is it for if it does not effect KDE?

The only way to configure the compiz stuff for KDE is via systemsettings
(i.e., "Personal Settings Configure Desktop" in the KDE menu) in
Desktop->All Effects). ccsm and simple-ccsm-kde are useless for this.

That is because compiz and kde-win are 2 different window managers. If you
use
compiz as your window manager (which runs on top of the kde desktop) you use
ccsm. If, OTOH, you use kde-win (which now has its own desktop effects
completely independent of compiz), you use the KDE configurator.

I guess I was confused by a name like 'simple-ccsm-kde' not meaning that
it was actually configuring something for use by kde. I guess the 'kde'
in the name really means the configuration program is written to run
under KDE, but it does not change anything KDE actually uses.

OOC, is there an up-to-date (openSUSE 11.1, kde 4.2.4 or newer)
description of using compiz as the window manager rather than kwin? I
went through all this a year or so ago with Autostart files and other
it-is-not-really-integrated-yet stuff. Is this still the case? In fact,
is there any reason to use compiz over kwin?

--
Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems / Ramböll RST

Ramböll Sverige AB