Re: [opensuse] Using desktop cube
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 08:22:03 +0200
On Sat, 2009-06-27 at 02:02 -0500, David C. Rankin wrote:
On Friday 26 June 2009 09:50:32 am Bogdan Cristea wrote:
I am new to compiz and I am trying to learn to use 3D effects in KDE.
I have enabled the desktop cube effect in openSuSE 11.1, KDE 4.1.3,
but when pressing ctrl+alt and moving the mouse with button 1 pressed
nothing happens. Could someone give me some directions ?

Bogdan,

kde4 desktop effects cube != compiz desktop cube

In kde4 ctrl+F11 activates the cube

In compiz ctrl+alt+button1 activates the cube

This turned out to be the problem I had a while back. I could not figure
out why I could not get most effects to work, when everything was set up
correctly. I thought it was changing from an unsupported ATI to a
supported NVIDIA card that confused something.

What confuses me is why there are three programs for configuring the
desktop for compiz, but only one works with KDE. The other two have no
effect. OK - I understand why there is a program for Gnome and one for
KDE. But I think it would make sense to call one of them the GNOME CCSM
and one the KDE CCSM. Add to the confusion that the two that are
together in the Utilities->Desktop menu (ccsm and simple-ccsm-kde) are
both the ones that do not have any effect on KDE. simple-ccsm-kde is a
real mystery. What is it for if it does not effect KDE?

The only way to configure the compiz stuff for KDE is via systemsettings
(i.e., "Personal Settings Configure Desktop" in the KDE menu) in
Desktop->All Effects). ccsm and simple-ccsm-kde are useless for this.

--
Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems / Ramböll RST

Ramböll Sverige AB