Re: [opensuse] Linux-friendly "copier" / network scanner?
  • From: Adam Tauno WIlliams <awilliam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2009 22:35:05 -0400
On Sun, 2009-06-28 at 18:13 -0400, Aaron Kulkis wrote:
Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
On Sun, 2009-06-28 at 02:22 -0400, Andrew Joakimsen wrote:
Can someone recommend a Linux-friendly "copier" such as Konica-Minolta
Bizhub? I am partial to Lexmark printers, has anyone used something
such as Lexmark X658de or X652de for scanning to Linux?
We use Brother MFC-9840CDW and are *very* happy with them; they even
have LDAP & IPv6 support. Print quality is very good and all the
necessary features can be selected in GNOME print dialogs when using the
Brother supplied PPD file in cups.
At first I was like: "What? A Brother? You have to be kidding." But
the MFC-9840CDW has been a flawless work horse.
In my experience with Canon, Epson, HP and Brother,
Linux quality rates as follows:

My experience regarding the "document center" category is that it
depends entirely on the model in question and the brand is almost
irrelevant.

Brother -- Support as good as HP, but both scan and print

So far no documentation, correct or not, has been required beyond the
obvious steps. The MFC-9840CDW was drop-dead simple to configure, and
we have a heterogeneous network.

HP -- Very Good. Real work horses...but always about 1

IMO, HP has *far* to broad a product line to make any global assurances.
My main gripe with HP is that the real [vs. published] product
life-cycle is very short. If problems show up in a printer's firmware,
etc... much beyond a year after it was introduced your on your own. The
incompatibilities we've had between HP's postscript implementation(s)
and Adobe's software are numerous. But maybe this is true of Brother as
well, we haven't owned the units long enough to know. And this may
also vary by model; probably business-class laser printers will receive
more love than 'business-class' [yeah, right] inkjet devices.

Grade: A- for lagging on resolutions

For 99.999999% of applications the resolution of a 5 year old printer is
more than sufficient. Certainly resolution is not a major factor in the
document-center space. If you want uber-quality color reproduction then
you buy a device specifically for that purpose and not a document center
(or at least that would be my strong advice).

Epson -- Leading edge hardware, but spotty Linux support.

Huh, didn't even know they still existed. I haven't gotten a bid or
request regarding an Epson device is a really long time.

Canon No support

In the business space I know they sell some document centers but I
usually find Canon to be irrelevant for the low and middle tier of
products. Maybe happily so, margins are probably better at the
high-end.