Re: [opensuse] Access to the Internet but not to mail using wicd and dhcp
  • From: "Leen de Braal" <ldb@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 11:35:18 +0200 (CEST)

I have a netbook (HP 2140) running OpenSuSE 11.1 (with KDE 3). I removed
netwrokmanager (and knetworkmanager) and installes wicd.

Now to the problem:

At my school we have an unsecured, unencrypted, dhcp-based wireless
network. I
can connect to this network with wicd, leaving all the "advanced settings"
empty (I guess this must mean "use DHCP for everything?) and I get access
the Internet (I can browse and access my webmail), but any try to retrieve
mail gets an "unable to connect to [pop3]" message.

Your school might be blocking access to the outside for port 110 (and
probably a lot more). Ask the schooladmin if this is the case.

I would say that if I can use google and access my webmail it means that
DNS
and Gateway are ok, so what can prevent accessing the pop3? Note that the
kmail settings work from home, so it can't be that.

Don't know if this is wicd or something in OpenSuSE, so I first try my
luck
here...

If anyone has an idea, I'm a taker!

Regards,