[opensuse] Access to the Internet but not to mail using wicd and dhcp
  • From: Thierry de Coulon <tcoulon@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 11:25:13 +0200
I have a netbook (HP 2140) running OpenSuSE 11.1 (with KDE 3). I removed
netwrokmanager (and knetworkmanager) and installes wicd.

Both cards (ethernet wired and Wireless) are identified and working (the
former is a "Marvell Ethernet controler" and the latter a "BCM4322
802.11a/b/g/n Wireless LAN Controller". The wireless card runs thanks to
ndiswrapper as the linux code would not compile). Both cards have been setup
in Yast but are no more (yast shows them as "Not configured").

OK, I gave all these informations just in case, but I actually think I am
missing some small config element. This is my problem:

My home network runs both wired and wireless, fixed IP. So there is _no_ DHCP
server available. At home:
- if start the netbook without pluging in the ethernet cable, wicd shows my
Wifi network (and that of the neighbours :). In "advanced settings" I setup
all the fixed informations (IP, Netmask, Gateway, DNS). I can connect to the
Internet and retrieve my mail (kmail, pop3). Everything is OK

- if I start the netbook with the wired network plugged in (or if I plu it in
and shut down the wireless), wicd finds the network and connects just as well
as before.

Now to the problem:

At my school we have an unsecured, unencrypted, dhcp-based wireless network. I
can connect to this network with wicd, leaving all the "advanced settings"
empty (I guess this must mean "use DHCP for everything?) and I get access to
the Internet (I can browse and access my webmail), but any try to retrieve
mail gets an "unable to connect to [pop3]" message.

I would say that if I can use google and access my webmail it means that DNS
and Gateway are ok, so what can prevent accessing the pop3? Note that the
kmail settings work from home, so it can't be that.

Don't know if this is wicd or something in OpenSuSE, so I first try my luck
here...

If anyone has an idea, I'm a taker!

Regards,

Thierry