Re: [opensuse] /dev/mapper/_home ... how'd that happen?
  • From: Michael Fischer <michael@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 02:41:21 -0400
On Thu, Jun 25, Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
On Thu, 2009-06-25 at 02:19 -0400, Michael Fischer wrote:
I find I cannot write to my home directory

echo "adasflkjasfd" > foo
-bash: echo: write error: No space left on device

seems related to this thing I've never seen before,
and don't know how I inadvertantly got it:

/dev/mapper/_home_mfischer.img on /home/mfischer type ext3 (rw)

How do I get rid of that and get back to an ordinary home
directory?

The real question is "How did it get this way in the first place"?

As root, you could try:

umount /home/mfischer

then see if you can log in as mfischer

This leaves you with the task of finding out who is mounting this.
Is there a line in /etc/fstab that mounts /dev/mapper/_home_mfischer.img
Have you set up ant automount stuff? I am not sure which service
used /dev/mapper

I found it... grrr.

Yast->users->edit->details

somehow "use encrypted home dir" got checked... I certainly didn't
mean to. Is that a default nowadays?

Unchecking it got me fixed up right.

Michael
--