Re: [opensuse] athlon unable to run qemu-kvm, poosibly caused by cpu-parameter
  • From: Julien Michielsen <julien@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 19:15:27 +0200
On Monday 22 June 2009 12:51:16 Michal Hrusecky wrote:
Julien Michielsen - 10:57 22.06.09 wrote:
I tried to get WinXP installed under kvm, and noticed I could not get it
installed, because the MS-Win setup-procedure got confused.  I had run
two commands:
qemu-img create  -f qcow2 ./winxp.img 10G
this command worked fine, to prepare a WinXP- immage on disk (in direc-
tory  /mnt/a14).
Secondly I wanted to install the XP on disk such that qemu-kvm can work
on it,
and therefor I used the command
qemu-kvm -M pc -m 1G -cpu athlon -cdrom /dev/sr0 -boot d
/mnt/a14/winxp.img

Having given this command the Windows setup started to run, but ended in
failure with the message
"Cannot load file SETUPREG.HIV into memory. Errorcode is 3072. Push any
key to
stop the installation program"
Even though setup complained of not being able to find the
SETUPREG.HIV-file, this file was present in the subdirectory I386 of the
Win-XP-CD.  I assume the setup-procedure got confused by the
cpu-parameter of the qemu-kvm - command: qemu-kvm  -cpu athlon.
If the parameter had had i386 as its value, I suppose the setup-procedure
of MS-Win would have searched the I386 directory, and everything had
worked fine.
Is this a known problem of the installation of WinXP under qemu-kvm, and
does a work-around exist?  If I could use my present allready installed
XP-version on a
separate partition as an input to the qemu-kvm command (instead of the MS
Win CD) the problem might be side-stepped. Is this possible at all?
Thanks for your interest.

I didn't run into the same problem, but I'm using several virtual
machines with kvm and I never needed to specify -M or -cpu. I thought
that specific CPU is supported only by qemu with disabled kvm support
and to make use of kvm I never used -M or -cpu with kvm. Anyway athlon
can be probably treated as i386 and I guess Windows detects only
architecture (if they support any other architecture then i386). I would
try to use image of CD-ROM on my disk instead of real cdrom. I guess it
using real cd-rom can make things response slower and confuse windows.
And you can use your existing installation on hdd in kvm, although I'm
not sure if windows are able to handle such a hardware change. But it
would be quite dangerous, if you'll access same partition from two
different places... It can lead to filesystem inconsistency. You can
use

kvm -hda /dev/sda

but as this is really dangerous unless you are sure that you will use
it in right way and you've got good bootloader and you know what are you
doing, I wouldn't suggest it. I'll recommend you to try to install your
windows using cdrom image first.

Thank you for your reply. I tried as you suggested, but did not arrive at a
solution. I modified the qemu-kvm and used
qemu-kvm -M pc -hda /dev/sda2 -boot d /mnt/a14/winxp.img
differing from the
qemu-kvm -M pc -m 1G -cpu athlon -cdrom /dev/sr0 -boot d /mnt/a14/winxp.img
as I specified used originally. The differences in the two commands:
I left out -m 1G and -cpu athlon, and also left out -cdrom /dev/sr0. For
the latter I included -hda /dev/sda2, in the hope it would boot from my
windows partition. But this did not work: I ended up with the error message
you can see at
--
Julien Michielsen
julien_at_michkloo.xs4all.nl