Re: [opensuse] Re: Hardware problem
  • From: Patrick Shanahan <paka@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 15:10:58 -0400
* Carlos E. R. <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [06-23-09 15:04]:
On Tuesday, 2009-06-23 at 12:52 -0400, Greg Freemyer wrote:

Logically I agree, but my real world experience differs.

I know that we had a number of SIL sata controllers that worked with
500GB drives fine and failed to work with 1 TB drives. I don't recall
if they worked with 750 GB drives or not. We got a firmware update
from SIL and updated our cards so I can no longer test that.

So far we have tested this firmware version with 1.5 TB drives.
Haven't bought any 2 TiB drives yet.

While shopping for USB HD enclosures, I saw a few of them which specified
a size limit well under 1 TB.

Ditto, I have a usb enclosure that has a 200mb limit, but it is
several years old. I also have an external sata 2TB drive that is
marvelous. With the pci-express card 300mb/s seems like another
*internal* drive. (hot pluggable). Gave us$109 for the drive at Frys
in Indianapolis.