[opensuse] OpenSuSE 11.1 x86_64: RAM expectations
  • From: Boris Epstein <borepstein@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 14:28:58 -0400
Hi all,

I've got a bunch of 64-bit Intel-based machines which I am slowly
upgrading to OpenSuSE 11.1/KDE4.2 whatever. Some of those machines
(quite a few, in fact) only have 1 GB of RAM. At 1 GB, or even at 2
GB, it seems like just starting the machine up and logging into it is
enough to pretty much eat up all the RAM making the machine start
swapping and go slow. Some programs would even not start or start
crashing (whether that is RAM-related or not I don't know but machines
with 3 GB or RAM or not do seem more stable).

Hence the question: is this normal? Is the OS simply configured for
larger RAM configurations? Or am I doing something in a grossly
inefficient or erroneous way?

Thanks for voicing your opinion.

Boris.