Re: [opensuse] Re: ThunderBird plugins
  • From: Anton Aylward <anton.aylward@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 08:10:56 -0400
Per Jessen said the following on 06/23/2009 07:39 AM:
James Hatridge wrote:

Hi Per,
On Thursday 18 June 2009 16:58:31 Per Jessen wrote:
James Hatridge wrote:
Hi all,

There is one thing keeping me from changing from Kmail to
ThunderBird. I want to be able to rewrite the subject line to
delete the email list name. Is there a way to do this or a plugin
that I can add?
At which point do you want to do this? Doing it when you're replying
is not a problem.
On incoming emails as they are sorted into the different dirs.

Hmm, I don't think TBs filters will do that. Dunno if there is a plugin
that will.

Yes, but its straight forward for procmail to do it.

Use fetchmail - which can run even when KDE and Kmail isn't - though
procmail (and perhaps SpamAssassin and some AV) rather than making Kmail
do the fetching. This gives you more flexibility.

For example: I have a mail host separate from my laptop/console. It
runs fetchmail to fetch from many mailboxes I have (accumulated over the
years and at client sites and for sites I support) runs SpamAssassin on,
sorts them into folders according to source, subject and even marks them
with a guess at priority. The mail host has a huge archive an indexes.
I read the mail using IMAP to the mail host - over a SSH connection if
I'm away from the office.

It suns complicated but tis all remarkably easy to set up. Most of it
can be done incrementally as needed.

It started when I had a lesser capacity laptop, an lets face it, while I
need those archives (of client communications) I don't need them all the
time.

And Thunderbird will let me 'download' a local copy of a folder should I
need it.

The tools are there - use them!

--
Over the last few centuries, mathematicians have demonstrated
a remarkable tendency to underestimate the cryptanalytic powers