Re: [opensuse] how to set up a fylafax 'client'
  • From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 23:12:24 -0500
On Monday 08 June 2009 06:49:20 am Dominique Leuenberger wrote:
Hello,

Our company is deploying some hylafax servers. Very nice nifty things.
On the windows clients, it's rather simple, we installed hylafax client, a
new printer is there, properly configured and sending faxes is possible in
2 minutes.

So: the server is running linux, my WS is running linux.. but HOW do I get
my client to send a fax the same way my windows colleagues do? of course I
can bash out and use sendfax, but I'll never be able to explain to
co-workers why they have to do that now.

I found an old SDB [1] to set 'something' up, but first off I'm using
gnome, not KDE, 2nd even though I started kprint and tried adding a
printer, Hylafax is not an option.

Any good tutorials out there on how to get hylafax 'printing' to work?

Thanks for your inputs,
Dominique

[1] http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Setting_up_a_Fax_Printer_with_Hylafax

I finally went with Avantfax as the web interface for sending and managing
faxes. As long as you can get the fax into pdf, ps, or tiff format, you are
good to go. You can also configure tesseract on the fax server along with
Avantfax to to OCR on your incoming faxes.

I have a quick howto page on the setup:

http://www.3111skyline.com/linux/avantfax.php

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.