Re: [opensuse] Driver problem in VirtualBox
  • From: Marco Calistri <marco.calistri@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 23:51:24 -0300
Il giorno gio, 18/06/2009 alle 12.17 +0300, Stan Goodman ha scritto:
I have got VirtualBox installed on my OS v11.1, have configured a VM for
WinXP, and am now ready to install the XP guest. VB sees my CDROM drive,
and the XP disk is in the drive.

Starting the installation process immediatly causes the following error
message:

*****
VERR_VM_DRIVER_NOT_INSTALLED (rc=-1908)

The VirtualBox Linux kernel driver (vboxdrv) is either not loaded or there
is a permission problem with /dev/vboxdrv. Re-setup the kernel module by
executing

'/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup'

as root. Users of Ubuntu or Fedora should install the DKMS package at
first. This package keeps track of Linux kernel changes and recompiles
the vboxdrv kernel module if necessary.
*****

I of course ran the setup as instructed above, with the following result:

*****
# /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
Stopping VirtualBox kernel module done
Recompiling VirtualBox kernel module, NOT. It has been packaged. done
Starting VirtualBox kernel module failed
(No suitable module for running kernel found)
# /

What would be a "suitable module" for running the kernel?

The driver file is indeed present. Here are its details:

-rwxr--r-- 1 root root 7816 2009-02-25 21:24 /etc/init.d/vboxdrv

Since the file was installed by the VB installation process, I assume that
its permisstions and ownership are correct.

What exactly is lacking?

Hi, ensure you have installed the right compiling requirements, in order
to built the VBox driver:

*kernel-source
* kernel-syms
* Xalan-c